Follow by Email

05 June 2012

Ballyglunin and Connemarra

Monday: breakfast with the French bus tour group  – off to Galway early to pick up the Aga spare part.  Frustration, not open until 10.45 – so off to Ballyglunin.   Ballyglunin was a  bit of a shock – really a building site at the moment.  So much damage was done by the burst water pipes last winter, and now it’s a huge job to repair it all.  The house was full of scaffolding – impossible to really see around.  Furniture and other items stacked in rooms – all pretty horrible really. As well as that, all the beautiful marble fireplaces had been taken out – the walls look dreadful. In fact anything of value has been taken out.  The stable yard looked terrible too.
We had a long discussion with the two ODs who took us around and had morning tea with them.  Then went for a walk outside and down the old back drive to visit the ice house, which was in surprisingly good condition.  We also viewed the Brookhouse ruins from a short distance.  There is a salt house at Brook House which was interesting. 
The house is being prepared for a leasing group from Spain to accommodate young people learning English.

We then had to return to Galway to try the Aga shop again, this time successful and managed to pick up our oven light knob.  Back to Monivea to see Mary Fitzgerald at the end of her working day at the Post Office.  We drove to the Mausoleum to have a brief look and then had afternoon tea with Mary.  A quick hello to Brian before setting off again to Clonbur in West Galway. 

Michael and Claire live just above Loch Corrib, between Corrib and Loch Mask – surrounded by wonderful, beautiful, wild country.
After a gin and tonic we wondered down a boreen and had a lovely walk, admired the views of the lake dotted with islands, passed a family walking their cows and calves down the road, and just enjoyed the beautiful air. The scenery here is stunning.

Some locals!
Michale and John waiting for the big one.
The next evening we went out on Lock Corrib in Michael's boat to have a go at fishing.  No luck, but watched the sun go down reflected in the lake.  Beautiful.

Sadly, that was the end of our few days in the West.

The next day, we set off for Dublin and had a very pleasant evening in Glencullen with my sister and her husband.

Thursday was an early start for Dublin airport, returning the hire car and waiting.  We used the time to buy some bacon and sausages to enjoy at home.

No comments :